Claremore has attained an enviable reputation as a health resort on account of the curative properties of the mineral water discovered there about twenty years ago.
In 1903, Mr. G. W. Eaton, assisted by a number of friends, drilled a well within the limits of the city, hoping to find oil or gas. At the depth of about eleven hundred feet they struck artesian water, and in going farther into the bowels of the earth they found two more veins, which, as the drill was withdrawn, began to overflow the surrounding surface with water that threw off odorous gas, and blackened any metal with which it came in contact. Samples of the water were submitted to eminent chemists who reported that it contained excellent curative properties, and this encouraging report prompted the drilling of other wells and. the erection of hotels and bath houses. It has been clearly demonstrated that this water is specially beneficial in cases of rheumatism, eczema and other skin diseases. Scarcely a day passes that does not see men and women arrive at Claremore on crutches, nearly all of whom lay aside their crutches after a few weeks’ bathing in these waters.
Claremore has a modern city hall, a good public library, twelve hotels, three banks, four parks, a city electric plant, a city sewer system, two weekly newspapers, one daily paper, a good hospital, three grain elevators, three wholesale houses, numerous fraternal organizations and women’s clubs, a telephone system, electric lights, natural gas in abundance and five miles of well paved streets.
The finances of the city are in the best condition, every warrant being worth par value and payable promptly upon presentation. It may be worthy of note that not one cent of interest has been paid on warrants on account of insufficient funds during the past four years.
The city of Claremore furnishes her citizens with the finest of drinking water through her municipal water plant, 98 per cent of the residents using the hydrant water for drinking purposes ; the water having passed a thorough chemical and bacteriological examination of the State Health Department and was found to be among the best.
The municipal electric light plant furnishes electric current at all hours and for all purposes at rates cheaper than other Oklahoma cities, Claremore being known all over the state as having a low electric rate, and, further, is making money at that, there being a balance from the light and water department at the end of each fiscal year.
Claremore has concrete sidewalks, and is now completing several miles of asphalt-concrete paved streets.
Source: Benedict, John D. Muskogee and northeastern Oklahoma, including the counties of Muskogee, McIntosh, Wagoner, Cherokee, Sequoyah, Adair, Delaware, Mayes, Rogers, Washington, Nowata, Craig, and Ottawa. 3 v. illus., ports., facsims. 28 cm. Chicago, S.J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1922.