Rogers County, formerly an important section of the northwestern part of the Cherokee Nation, contains about seven hundred square miles of land, nearly all of which is well adapted to raising all of the staple crops of that latitude. The Cherokees were quick to recognize the excellent natural advantages of that vicinity and for nearly a century some of the leading Cherokee families have resided there. The white farmer and prospective investor, in search of a good agricultural location, eagerly watched and waited for the time to arrive when he could. legally purchase Indian lands. Some white farmers secured leases on portions of the farm land and raised crops thereon for many years before the Indians were permitted to alienate it. As a consequence, some of the oldest and best farms in Oklahoma are found within the present limits of Rogers County. The county was named after one of the prominent Cherokee families, Clem V. Rogers being one of its pioneers. He was born in the Cherokee Nation in 1839, shortly after the Indians came to Indian Territory, and as the Civil war began, just as he had reached manhood, he cast his fortune with the South and became a captain in General Stand Watie’s regiment.
- Rogers County, Oklahoma History
- Rogers County, Oklahoma Towns
- Claremore, Rogers County, Oklahoma
- Claremore, Rogers County, Oklahoma Radium Wells
- Claremore Mound, Rogers County, Oklahoma
Source: Benedict, John D. Muskogee and northeastern Oklahoma, including the counties of Muskogee, McIntosh, Wagoner, Cherokee, Sequoyah, Adair, Delaware, Mayes, Rogers, Washington, Nowata, Craig, and Ottawa. 3 v. illus., ports., facsims. 28 cm. Chicago, S.J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1922.